What's the standard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a hop head. I really enjoy IPA's and IIPA's. I am going to be brewing my first IPA this weekend, and I am wondering what's the standard IBU/SG for an IPA and IIPA. The recipe I have formulated, has an IBU/SG of around 1.162. I am wondering if that's way to high of a bitterness ratio. Any thoughts?

Should be fine. I've done higher with good results. That being said, it is dependent on a variety of other factors as well (late vs. early hops, FG, etc.)

In a beer with that ratio you'll want a good amount of late hops. I generally aim for at least 50% of my IBUs coming from additions with 15 minutes or less left in the bottle for IPAs and other really hoppy beers. In fact, I'm often closer to 2/3 to 3/4 of my IBUs coming from late additions.

According to Designing Great Beers, IPA BU:GU (Bitterness Unit to Gravity Unit) ratio averages* 1.10, with a min of .61 and a max of 1.64.

* These values are from NHC Second Round IPAs - in other words, numbers come from home brewed beer that was selected as good enough to reach the second round of competition. Just in case you wanted to know where the numbers came from.

Ok, thanks guys. My IPA has 8 oz of hops in the brew kettle. 6 of those oz. are late addition. (15 min or less). I also have a question about Mash addition hops. My recipe calls for 1 oz of chinook at transfer from mash tun to brew kettle. My 2 questions regarding this is 1), how do I go about doing this. My thoughts was put the hops in my hop spider and run the wort over that oz. in transfer from mash tun to kettle. And 2), I am doing a 90 minute boil, should I leave that oz of chinook in there for the whole boil? I heard some where I might get some "off" flavors from boiling hops that long. Any thoughts?

Going by your description, that's "First Wort Hopping"(FWH). Adding hops to the mash is called "Mash Hopping" or something like that.
Throwing them in the spider works, just make sure they have contact with wort during the whole process to get the most out of it.
Leave 'em in for the whole boil. I haven't heard of any off flavors from boiling hops too long. Only thing related to long boils is that the alpha acids are isomerized fully somewhere between 60 and 90 mins, but IBU calculations and FWH is a mess so...

Latest posts

Back