Boy am I glad I used a blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I am brewing my third batch ever, second Hef in a row. I used the yeast from the first batch and boy oh boy am I glad I used a blow off tube in stead of an airlock. It would have been very messy. After 24 hours in a 6.5 gal plastic fermenter, the krausen is all the way to the top, the blow off tube and sanitized bucket have been very active. There is no way the airlock would have handled this.

Most of what I know today comes form this board, thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement.

Toy4Rick

The last hefe I did, blew off so hard I lost almost a gallon of beer :( Not to mention it over flowed my blow off bucket (which was to small) in my fermentation chamber and made a mess that took forever to clean up.

Make sure and leave enough head room in your carboys as well, even when using a blow off. I made that mistake.

TIME TO BREW ANOTHER ONE!

I haven't used an airlock for primary in over 8 years; only blow-offs for primary. I suggest the same for your primaries. Less crap to clean up.

Back