My Homemade Grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenbrau

Reaction score
I saw Pabst Blue Robot post his smoker on here, I thought I'd do my first portion of sharing and post my grill. It's hardly worthy of his workmanship, but it's one of my first metalworking projects. She's served me well thus far, I hope to brew the beer to match. Enjoy :)

4783_1172949840212_1122000241_30560444_5498286_n.jpg

4783_1172948160170_1122000241_30560438_6297671_n.jpg

Looks good. I have to get a piece of expanded steel for mine. The grids that came with it are too small.

It Looks Great!!! And quite impressive considering you have limited medal working experience.I am a self admitted "charcoal snob", I have now converted most of my neighbors this past summer.

I commend you for taking the time to make you own grill and the extra time to prepare " the perfect coals" rather than turning on the valve and pushing the button. I'm about to turn 40 and have never owned a gas grill, even though I worked for a industrial gas distributor for year and propane would have been free.

If you have never used lump charcoal I would suggest going to Lowe's and picking some up, it is unprocessed and contains on paraffin wax that is use to make those cookie cutter briquettes. Sorry I did mention that I was a snob. I promise you will not be disappointed. I would also recommend picking up a chimney while you are at it. All you need is a little news paper and a match. No need to use liquid charcoal starter that can give your meal that distinctive "diesel fuel" taste.

I have been known to use my turkey fryer burner/brew kettle burner to get my coals ready in a flash.

Oh yea Welcome to the obsession!!!

Cheers....:mug:

Thanks bad67z, I'll look into the charcoal when I get home. We've got a Lowe's right down the street, I'm always up to try new things that will improve on anything. How much is the chimney? I know I've seen them around, but never thought to pick one up. Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

Thanks bad67z, I'll look into the charcoal when I get home. We've got a Lowe's right down the street, I'm always up to try new things that will improve on anything. How much is the chimney? I know I've seen them around, but never thought to pick one up. Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

Chimney about $15 , with the size of the monster you built you may need a second one in the summer months, I used to use the old steel coffee cans but you cant get them anymore. The charcoal @ Lowe's is called "Cowboy Charcoal". Good luck, good grillin' and good brewing.:ban::ban::ban:

Not sue if you did or not but I would add a drain hole on the bottom belly part of the grill for grease to drain out into a small bucket or pale. Very nice build congrats!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the expanded steel? I've got 2-3 projects/repairs/mods I need to do to my offset that would be WAY easier if I could find some expanded steel.

I got this stuff at the local steel yard. Name is Smith Ironworks out in Fort Walton Beach. If you've got a steel yard near you, they should be able to cut you some in the sizes you need. It cost about $40 for two 3x4 pieces. Little pricey, but I don't have much for selection out here.

Back