Keg Carbing / Aging....curious question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarpancake

Reaction score
Ok i've been reading about keg carbing and aging a lot and I see lots of people saying that it works fine but takes a little longer for the aging to occur especially if the keg is being cooled....the aging and carbonation being effected by both the temp. and the co2. My question is this:

If I were to introduce the carbonation slowly after purging the keg of oxygen would this help age and carbonate the drink better? Even just 1-2 psi per day till I hit 12-15psi and let the keg carbonate/age for some time after might help?

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

I have not tried this particular way, but some variations. I would recommend trying that as well as some of the ways on here. For me, I prefer a well conditioned beer. Typically that means natural carbonation. It's easier and cheaper. On the plus side, you have to wait a month or so and that means you have to brew more to keep up! Luck - Dwain

I have not tried this particular way, but some variations. I would recommend trying that as well as some of the ways on here. For me, I prefer a well conditioned beer. Typically that means natural carbonation. It's easier and cheaper. On the plus side, you have to wait a month or so and that means you have to brew more to keep up! Luck - Dwain

I don't want to deprive my brew if anything that would make it better so I plan on aging in the keg at room temp unless I get a third carboy. I'll just top the keg with some co2 and release the oxygen. I can carb it once it's aged.

Why the need for a third carboy? One to primary, one to seconday and a keg. Remember, the longer you leave it in secondary, up to probably 3 months, the more the sediment will "stick" to the bottom of the secondary.

Here's what I understand that you do.

O.K., so you're going from primary to the keg for secondary. Closing the lid and popping it with ~20 lbs. CO2 to seal. After some period of time ( I go for 1-2 months in secondary), opening the keg and adding your priming sugar (1/3 to 1/2 cup depending on style). Closing the lid and popping it with ~20 lbs. CO2 to seal. Then letting it sit for 1 month. Put it in your kegerator (server) and put the CO2 on it at whatever serving pressure the style requires.
As a footnote, when I've naturally carbonated, the pressure in my keg has always been between 16-20 lbs when it was at the end of the carbonation period. I normally let it sit in my kegerator for overnight, then serve a pint or two, then hook up my CO2. If the pressure is still high after a couple of pints, I release the pressure throught the spring valve. Finally, when you say room temperature, you mean 68-72F, right? If your temp is lower, it will take longer for the yeast to work, higher can give you off flavors.
I know this is a long post, but I wrote it like I need things explained to me. Hope this helps - Dwain

its the cool temperature not the carbonation that slows aging down. cold means everything metabolizes slower, chemical processes and reactions slow down...
carb it at room temp, let it sit at room temp a few weeks like you're bottle conditioning. that will speed up keg aging.

its the cool temperature not the carbonation that slows aging down. cold means everything metabolizes slower, chemical processes and reactions slow down...
carb it at room temp, let it sit at room temp a few weeks like you're bottle conditioning. that will speed up keg aging.

problem with that is the entire house is 74 F. This weekend im going to hunt down a cool spot so I can setup "shop" there.

Back