Can Hops be grown in Central Texas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
Spoke with my local homebrew supply store and they told me that I could not succesfully grow hops in the Austin area. He mentioned they would not be any good for bittering. Hopefully he is incorrect. Comments from any Austin area hop growers would be appreciated. I was looking toward growing some this upcomming season.

Thanks for the help.

Circle C Brewer

A year ago, it was great when we had a wet summer. This year, the drought and heat just burned them up. I won't plant again till I redo my system with some sun screens and better irrigation system.

i had decent success with my crop this last year. three first year plants and i harvested 4.5 oz total. the root system is pretty impressive now, so next years crop should be nice. homegrown hops really aren't a great choice for bittering anyways, since AA% is hard to determine. They work best for flavor additions and dry hopping. just make sure you water the @%$! out of them, they will need it.

I know several people that grow hops in the Austin area. I am starting mine this spring and plan on putting a drip irrigation system on them.

I grew 3 cascade plants this past summer and harvested a few ounces (not sure on amount) of hops off of them. Not bad results for 1st year plants.

I've used them to dry hop some pale ales.

I live in South Austin(Circle C). My brother in-law and I wanted to plant a dozen or so rhizomes on a half acre plot we have. We are going to grow them organically. Do certain varieties do better in the Texas heat? I am also considering growing one hydroponically as an experiment.

Back