General rule for Blow offs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STB

Reaction score
Lots of threads about creating a blow off tube and some suggestions as to ooo that sounds like it's going to need a blow off. More to the point, is there a general type or style of beer that will in most cases need a blow off set up. I decided for my first born to be a chocolate stout and it definatly needed a blow off. I also read a couple of threats about CCA needing this set up. Cheers:mug:

Hefeweizens: YES
Big Beers with Big Starters: YES
Any beer without 1.5g of headspace: YES

Other than that, I don't use an airlock...but I do keep a close eye on the carboy when I don't use one. If you use a bucket, just use a blowoff tube!

I recently needed a blow-off for a dry stout. A couple people have mentioned using foam control drops in the primary to eliminate the need for a blow-off. I have yet to try this, but will for my next batch, as it has a couple of advantages. First, you get to keep everything in your fermenter that you would usually lose to the blow-off. Second, the whole set-up is simplified.

I ferment in an ale pail, and I've needed a blow off tube only once.

Generally, though, I ferment on the cool side of the yeast strain's recommended temperatures, and have plenty of head space.

If I was using a 6 gallon carboy, I'd be using a blow off tube almost every batch.

I had a 6.5G ale pale and it still blew my air lock out. I might look into those simethcone drops. Foam control sounds real good about now.

I never used to use a blow-off until I started making Wits. Then I'd wished I had one! Too much wheat malt in there causes lots of krausen. I've gone to using one every time now. No harm in using it.

Back