ale yeast for bubbly cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikebeer

Reaction score
I've read that ale yeast doesn't have a very high alcohol tolerance and might not ferment the cider fully. Does this also mean that I can only make a still cider with ale yeast, since the yeast will be dead by bottling time?

Hmmm I don't know, but I'm using ale yeast for my cider that I just started so let's hope for the best. I was told by the local brew shop guy that the ale yeast would be fine and I could add extra sugar in the second stage of fermentation for some carbonation if desired, and it would take longer to be ready. I think this means it will still unless you add the extra sugar, and that I'll be making a still cider because my patience has its limits...

Hopefully somebody else can help us here :)

Almost all Ale yeasts will handle 5% - 10% without a problem. If you are anticipating more than 10% ABV, then you might want to look up the alcohol tolerance of the yeast you used.

What does everyone think about a heffe yeast for my cider. I want to make a cider and don't want to have to buy more yeast so I have an extra vial of white labs American heffe. Has enyone tried this before.

WLP320 is good. I've used it on a few batches. For my juice, I like the WLP380 or the Wyeast wheat yeasts a little better but they are all good. The wheat yeasts all taste better if stopped with some more residual sugar IMHO, something in the range of 1.010 to 1.020. An ale yeast like S04 is better if you want to go drier, below 1.010

I've used good ol reliable Nottingham, and Safale US-05 with good results. Bottle Conditioned as I would with beer using same ratio of corn sugar per gallon.

Did 2 gallons last year upping it to 5 gals this year.

Debating on adding acidic blend this year... I was told to use some when I started out, and never tried it without.... But @ 5 gallons why mess with a good thing! LOL

Back