improving black rock stout or finding a better one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferman

Reaction score
hi im new at brewing and was a guinness drinker before i started brewing i tried some lagers but gravitated towards stout tried a coopers that was ok then i tired a black rock and enjoyed that ,,,,,bloody loved it ,,,then started to wonder how i could improve it ,,,,,,,,went to buy another kit and came out of the shop with a muntons export stout but what i did was put another kg of malt to replace the sugar then added 200 grams of coffee sugar then added half a bottle of chocolate essence i thought i was being really creative but have since found out adding malt is quite common anyway it bubbled away nicely and i bottled it cant wait to try it out ,,,
I went back into brew shop and saw the black rock kit plus a can of black rock dark malt so are dead keen on putting one down with the extra malt and have heard of adding coffee beans ,,,,,,,,,,,
what im after is a full bodied dark stout with subtle hints of flavours.
i recall drinking a montieths dark and reading the back of the bottle and was impressed with the hints of flavours
so im welcome to any surgestions on how to make a really good stout cheers

surferman said:
hi im new at brewing and was a guinness drinker before i started brewing i tried some lagers but gravitated towards stout tried a coopers that was ok then i tired a black rock and enjoyed that ,,,,,bloody loved it ,,,then started to wonder how i could improve it ,,,,,,,,went to buy another kit and came out of the shop with a muntons export stout but what i did was put another kg of malt to replace the sugar then added 200 grams of coffee sugar then added half a bottle of chocolate essence i thought i was being really creative but have since found out adding malt is quite common anyway it bubbled away nicely and i bottled it cant wait to try it out ,,,
I went back into brew shop and saw the black rock kit plus a can of black rock dark malt so are dead keen on putting one down with the extra malt and have heard of adding coffee beans ,,,,,,,,,,,
what im after is a full bodied dark stout with subtle hints of flavours.
i recall drinking a montieths dark and reading the back of the bottle and was impressed with the hints of flavours
so im welcome to any surgestions on how to make a really good stout cheers

What about steeping grains? I would experiment with grains before adding more sugar or other adjuncts. Most of my porters have a subtle coffee or chocolate taste by grains alone. I don't brew stouts but the grain bill is very similar to a porter.

Back