What's your experience with Nugget Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back before the hops "crisis" I picked up a pound of Nugget pellets for $8.00.

I haven't used nugget before and I'm wondering what your overall impression of them is.

I'd use strictly for bittering...even in small amounts for pilsner styles and bigger amounts for APA's and IPA's.

Any thoughts on the flavor for anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I've used them for various APA/IPA's and I like them. Someone mentioned they can be substituted for Chinook, but IMO Chinook is not as smooth as Nugget...

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I have had them in 2 stouts and absolutely loved them! Gonna help some buddies brew up another stout this weekend, and am encouraging them to use nugget as well.

skeeordye11 said:
Just to throw my 2 cents in, I have had them in 2 stouts and absolutely loved them! Gonna help some buddies brew up another stout this weekend, and am encouraging them to use nugget as well.

I've heard something similar, that they go well with roastier or toastier beers. It's been a while since I heard that, and I can't remember who told me. I doubt a just hallucinated it, though (but I won't guarantee that:tank: )

TL

Absolutely fantastic! The best Fresh Hop IPA I've ever had was all Nugget. Very smooth for bittering and nice as a flavor or aroma hop.

I have never brewed with them but Troegs Hopback and Nugget Nectar are both very tasty hoppy brews that feature nugget as part of the recipe.

Not a Pils or IPA... but a friend of mine wants me to give a shot at cloning the new Pyramid Imperial Hefeweizen. Pyramid uses Nugget for all their American Weizens. Just my luck my LHBS doesn't have any when i stopped by today... I don't think they even carry it.

Nugget is the bittering hop I use in my porter, as previous posters have said, it is very smooth and makes an excellent compliment to malty beers like porters and stouts.

Any recipes for tried-and-true APAs/IPAs with Nugget? I'm sitting on a pound of them from Puterbaugh, too. Well, more than a pound, truth be told. I've been using small amounts as bittering hops in a stout and my recent "Weisenbock" - cum - hefeweizen, but that's it so far. I'd love to do something interesting with them.

Back