My first 5 Gallon Brew is fermenting hard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim2akat2

Reaction score
I can hear it bubbling in the next room thur the wall this thing sounds like an aquarium pump. It is a kit of Heartland Amber. Temp is in low 70's upper 60's and a nottenham yeast. I didn't expect it to bubble so much but I did put a blow off tube on last night because I had a feeliing it was going to go nuclear. Did I screw up or is this the standard for 5 gallons. It took around 14 hours for it to start air lock activity pretty regular (2-3 second between bubbles) then I switched to a blow off tube. Is the normal I have about 5-6 inches of foam on top right now about 36 hours after pitching yeast.

If it feels warm get it cooler,ambient temps are not actuall if thats what your temps are you are referring too. You ideally dont really(you may find) want that in the low 70's.Once fermentation starts or even before you may want to get it low 60's. And yes its normal- the foam.If you have it going in upper 60's you may want to let it sit a little longer in primary or not. Seems any kind of unideal situation for the yeast whether its pitch rate,viability,temps etc.. may take longer to conditon,but you may not have issues with it anyway.

Back