How do you measure your filterd water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
So... I am getting a water filter unit sometime soon, and was just wondering how it was that you guys measured out how many gallons you have.. I know jdoiv uses a ruler and some formulas to do it. Do some of you just collect it in a bucket with tick marks or what.. thanks!

I use a corny and a marked paddle. I also don't sweat it too much though. After enough batches, you know where to stop. If I miss my volume by a small amount, I really don't care.

I collect my water in gallon water jugs. A typical batch is 1/2 new bottled spring water in the gallon jugs, 1/2 filtered water from the dispenser on my fridge. I measure the volumes by how many jugs I've dumped in. When it comes to smaller increments, I just estimate it visually.

I have a better bottle carboy that is marked for gallons (which I did with a 1 gallon jug)...use that and guestimate.

I use a bathroom scale. I sit my pot or whatever on it, zero it out and then fill to whatever amount I need. Nice and easy for us metric folk since for water 1L == 1KG.

bradsul said:
I use a bathroom scale. I sit my pot or whatever on it, zero it out and then fill to whatever amount I need. Nice and easy for us metric folk since for water 1L == 1KG.

this sounds like a great idea....for us anti-metrics: 1 gallon water = 8 1/3 lbs

iamjonsharp said:
this sounds like a great idea....for us anti-metrics: 1 gallon water = 8 1/3 lbs

Distilled water is 8.333333333 pounds per gallon.

I use an 18" s/s ruler and calculate based on the dimension of the pot I'm running filtered water into.

FYI: Saturated salt water is just under 10.00 pounds per gallon.

Sorry, old drilling fluids engineer.

I use a grauated bucket. But today I built an inline filter so I can start filling the kettle where it sits ON the stand. After my first ten gallon batch I learned that by the end of the day, whatever you don't have to lift will really save your back! Graduate that pot on the outside or mark your brew spoon / paddle with notches and fill it where it sits. Thats the lesson I learned last week.

bucket1.jpg

A flowmeter would be the shiznit.....but they're pretty expensive. Anyone know of a cheap one? I think it would be sweet to just run water from the hose, to a filter, then through a flowmeter into my HLT. I guess a sight glass is probably the easiest method in the long run :)

Back