Increasing the ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
If I wanted to increase the ABV, but not mess with the recipe too much, is it simple enough to add a pound or two extra DME to the boil? Is it something worth experimenting with? Are there any other factors I may be missing also? Yeast? Fermentation times?

Thx

Yes, adding DME will increase ABV. Yes, you are missing things.

You need to consider yeast pitch rate. If you don't have enough healthy yeast culture to start with you will get a stuck fermentation. Also, higher ABV beers take time, sometimes lots of time. Both to ferment and to condition. If you are bottle carbing it is a whole different game if you have a high ABV beer that's been in the carboy for a while.

Also, why don't you try to make a high ABV style of beer rather than randomly adding fermentable sugars to a brew? There's plenty to choose from and it won't taste like ass if you do it right

Haha well ya I don't want the beer to taste like ass. I do have a Belgian strong ale to make but I don't have a way to maintain temp in fermentation... Yet. I kind of figured the yeast thing too. If the temp fluctuation in secondary is not too important I guess I could make one. It's aged 9+ months then bottled.

Back