How do you get wort out of popcorn ceilings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneybomber

Reaction score
Luckily, it was a tripel, so the stain isn't too noticeable, but you can still see it. Guess I should have listened to my wife when she kept saying "what's that noise" instead of responding with "the wind hunny, go to sleep". I could have caught it before the blow off.

Will bleach work, or will it dissolve the ceiling?

Yeah, it does depend on the shade and age of the ceiling.. Could be gray or brown..lol.. seriously though, the popcorn will fall if any moisture is added...

Oh Lord., you don't, you cover it.

Just move, it's too late.

Just use a foam roller, and paint the ceiling. First I would spot spray the wort, and don't go back and forth with the roller, when that popcorn gets wet, it tends to peel (from my experience). Just go one way, move on, let dry and re-apply.

My father was telling me that you can come pretty close to popcorn with a wet rag, if all else fails and you have to repaint what now looks like a flat ceiling.

3/4' to 1' nap roller, ceiling paint, apply and repeat if necessary.

next time I would suggest a blow off tube like this....

2l90hza.jpg

or at least cutting off the bottom of your airlock, the restricted opening generally gets clogged with hops debris and eventually she blows.

and in closing remember here on HBT...

3015_this_20thread_20is_20useless_20without_20pichers.jpg

if you don't show us it never happened.:D

I used this stuff to cover water spots in my popcorn ceiling when my bath tub leaked. It worked pretty well, just be careful to put down a ton of drop cloths, the stuff is really messy. I had better luck matching the existing popcorn using the water based type rather than the "professional" version. The water based was dead nuts on, but the professional, was a tad darker, still 10x better that stained ceilings.

homax-spray.jpg

I used this stuff to cover water spots in my popcorn ceiling when my bath tub leaked. It worked pretty well, just be careful to put down a ton of drop cloths, the stuff is really messy. I had better luck matching the existing popcorn using the water based type rather than the "professional" version. The water based was dead nuts on, but the professional, was a tad darker, still 10x better that stained ceilings.

Just be sure to buy three times as many cans as you think you will need and keep the receipt to return the other 2/3rds worth of duds.

Just move, it's too late.

Ha, just bought this house a couple months ago. I would have pictures of it, but because of school, not everything's been unpacked and right now I can't find the charger for the camera.

Sounds like covering it up may work, but I think the best plan is just brewing more tripels (without a blow off tube) in all parts of the kitchen over the next few months.:drunk:

Luckily, it was a tripel, so the stain isn't too noticeable, but you can still see it. Guess I should have listened to my wife when she kept saying "what's that noise" instead of responding with "the wind hunny, go to sleep". I could have caught it before the blow off.

Will bleach work, or will it dissolve the ceiling?

I'd just scrape the popcorn ceilings. Those things are hideous and if it hasn't been painted you can just spray the ceiling with water and easily scrape it away.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Just be sure to buy three times as many cans as you think you will need and keep the receipt to return the other 2/3rds worth of duds.

Yeah, forgot about that, I did have a dud can, and the coverage was less than quoted, but it still did the trick.

Tried spray can popcorn. Junk.

Tried several types of rollers and paint. All that did was a poor job of removing popcorn. Our popcorn was not sealed. I really think they just sprayed it up there and called it close enough.

Either spray paint it with a paint sprayer or spray it with a water bottle and scrape it off with a wide scrapper. Smooth out the ceiling and/or repaint with some new non popcorn texture. We did both. spray paint in dry rooms. Scrape off and paint with a paint/sand mixture in wet rooms (baths and kitchen). I'd advise you on the best way to use a paint and sand mix, but, uh, no. You don't want my advice on that.

I really think they just sprayed it up there and called it close enough.

Very common throughout the industry. The ONLY places I have seen that actually mix a colorant finish in with the texturing material is the hospitality industry.

Epoxy texture. Nasty stuff.

Latest posts

Back