Hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killercal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just looking through some recipes for my next batch and noticed something. Some call for a 60 min boil time and some call for a 90 min boil time. On the 90 minute boil time do you still follow the hop addition schedule for the 60 minute boil as in boil for 30 minutes then add the first hops at the 60 minute?

Thanks for any input.

The recipe should say how long to boil your hops for. Some recipes do call for boiling them for a full 90 minutes.

the longer boil will increase the IBU you get form the hops, you can use any recipe calculator to check the difference. Unless you know what IBU you want from what addition, it's probably best to stick to the recipes

According to the brewing software that I have, there's very little difference in bitterness between a 60 minute boil and a 90 minute boil. Providing you add the hops after the hot break, I doubt you would tell the difference.

-a.

Back