I have a question about the washers on a 5 gal MLT..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaDutchMasta

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a stainless steel washer for the inside part of my MLT i was wondering if i could use a zinc/steel regular washer instead until i find one?

The zinc ones will corrode very quickly, wouldn't recommend it. Unless you need it right away you could order some or check out this link.

I had the same issue. I just used the zinc washers on the outsides and used a neoprene washer on the inside. It holds tight, doesn't leak, and keeps temperature constant.

Any boatyard or marina or a hardware store near water will (should) have all manner of SS bolts/nuts/washers...

same here as fishingdave- put non SS in, looked like crap after 1 use. took it out, used extra washer on outside with gasket on inside and no leaks

Also look at most automotive supply shops. Most carry SS for fender washers.

Also look at most automotive supply shops. Most carry SS for fender washers.

lowes and homedepot also carry them. I bought mine at lowes

Not in 5/8 at any of my local stores in my part of Michigan, I spent a very fruitless day hitting every Lowes, HD, Hardware Store and Auto Parts Store in my area...

Never thought of marine supply stores...Here in Port Huron there's a ton of them.

Lowes and HD should carry them, but not in the typical area that they have their washers and bolts. The stainless hardware is kept in the pull-out drawer cabinets where the fasteners and unusual hardware are kept.

Someone is selling about 100 of these in the classifieds section of this site. I'd consider buying it from him first before you scour the local Home Depots and Lowes (they didn't have them around here at all).

Lowes and HD should carry them, but not in the typical area that they have their washers and bolts. The stainless hardware is kept in the pull-out drawer cabinets where the fasteners and unusual hardware are kept.

Good tip, I will check there next time I am there. I won't be brewing my first all grain batch for a couple weeks. I guess the zinc will do for one use, but would rather just get it all right before I use it.

I looked for months at all the Lowes, Home Depots, Ace Hardware and couldn't find them In my area. I didn't think to look at the Marine/Boat supply stores as another member posted. You might find them there.

I'm the guy selling them in the classifieds. I bought a bulk pack of 100 and have plenty left. I mailed out 6 this morning.

Link to Classifieds

thanks for the help all,
as others couldn't i was unable to find the 5/8 size at lowes/HD so im going to make a copper manifold

when i cut the slits, how do i debur them?
should i drill holes?

thanks

I also checked several Lowes and HD with no luck, even in the special hardware pullout drawers. Also checked a local Marine store. Didn't have 5/8. I eventually found some 5/8 SS flat washers at either an Ace or ACO, can't remember which it was. I think they're a little thinner than the fenders. I'll try 2 on the inside. Have yet to put my MLT together, but hopefully they work out.

I also checked several Lowes and HD with no luck, even in the special hardware pullout drawers. Also checked a local Marine store. Didn't have 5/8. I eventually found some 5/8 SS flat washers at either an Ace or ACO, can't remember which it was. I think they're a little thinner than the fenders. I'll try 2 on the inside. Have yet to put my MLT together, but hopefully they work out.

They should work just fine. The 5/8 SS flatwasher is what I have. They are just a little smaller than the fender washers.

I haven't been able to find a stainless steel washer for the inside part of my MLT i was wondering if i could use a zinc/steel regular washer instead until i find one?

There is a national franchise called 'Fastenal'. They carry them. The 5/8 inner diameter was hard to find for me as well, screw Lowes and Home Depot....

I had the same issue. I just used the zinc washers on the outsides and used a neoprene washer on the inside. It holds tight, doesn't leak, and keeps temperature constant.

This is what I did too. I looked forever at Lowes and HD to no avail, then I just got these. Works like a champ.

Neal :mug:

Back