Too much trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfish

Reaction score
Just brewed my second batch. I used my new auto siphon to transfer from my brewing pot to my fermenter. When I did, I sucked up a lot of trub (I used bittering, flavor, and aroma hop pellets). My brew is presently cloudy, and am sure the trub will sink, but will it negatively contribute to the flavor or bitterness?

I think I may just strain next time, and save the auto siphon for transfering from secondary to the bottling bucket.

Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch.

Nope.

RDWHAHB.

It'll settle out and you'll leave that trub behind when you siphon to secondary.

I've been brewing for about 14 years, but since I was on brewing hiatus for about 11 of those years, I'm basically still a newb. But I'm not sure why you would use a syphon to transfer from brewpot to primary. I just dump it right in. You can always use a strainer to keep the gunk out, but it will all settle in the primary anyhow. Pouring directly into the primary will also help to aerate. A strainer will also help to aerate, but I'm just not worried at all about trub getting into the primary. When you transfer into the secondary, leave your syphon an inch or two from the bottom, and the trub stays in the primary. Anything that gets into the secondary will settle there, too.

I dump mine and have yet to find a good straining solution that works for me. I figure most of the stuff will settle out during fermentation and in the clearing tank.

That said, the ESB I did is still pretty cloudy even after 2 months; tastes just fine though.

Back