refractometer question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose1873

Reaction score
I just got my refractometer (the AHS sale...) and it has SG on it (no need for brix conversion)...

My question is this, what adjustments do i make for the "wort correction". everything I am reading deals with brix???

sorry, just a little confused...:drunk:

I just got my refractometer (the AHS sale...) and it has SG on it (no need for brix conversion)...

My question is this, what adjustments do i make for the "wort correction". everything I am reading deals with brix???

sorry, just a little confused...:drunk:

Do you mean the correction for the alcohol once fermentation is underway?!?! :confused:

yes. everything I am reading says that you still need to make a brewhouse correction because they are not intended to calc. maltose...

can I just read it directly (assuming I wait 60sec for temp to regulate)?

If you go to the item on the AHS website it calculates it for you. It has a box to put OG and FG. It then calculates real FG, alcohol by vol % and alcohol by weight %.

yes. everything I am reading says that you still need to make a brewhouse correction because they are not intended to calc. maltose...

can I just read it directly (assuming I wait 60sec for temp to regulate)?

The best thing to do is test the SG reading on unfermented wort vs. your hydrometer a few times and see if a conversion is required. You are correct that the typical Brix refractometer is not calibrated for maltose and a minor adjustment is necessary between Brix & Plato/SG. This chart is handy:

http://beerbarons.org/pdf/brewingCheatSheets/refractometerBrixToSGConvertion.pdf

But again, IMO the best approach is to test your refractometer at different gravities.

Cheers,
Glenn

Good question. I just checked a bunch of calculators online and beer smith and they were all between 1.081 and 1.083. So the AHS one seems to be reading a little low on SG at first grin.

Back