Advanced Brewing Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got finished reading Radical Brewing and while some of it was okay the huge amount of historical facts and recipes about beer-like beverages was not of much interest and since I'm not a complete newb a lot of the beginning of the book was boring as well. Does anyone know of any intermediate to advanced books on homebrewing? I would like tips and information on layering and mixing flavors or formulating recipes. I understand most of the chemistry, but don't plan to setup a engineering masterpiece or home lab so a full on chemistry lesson is over kill. I want something that will provide useful information about creating flavor. I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel on 2000 years of brewing, testing, tasting to understand how some of the parts work together.

Thanks

I saw that one on Amazon and kept it on my short list, but some of the reviews made me pause. They said it had a lot of outdated statistical data on a brewing competition.

It sounds from you guys it's still what I need, thanks!

Yes. It is outdated but it is still the best refference focused on recipe formulation yet. The author does not give recipes at all. Instead explains the constituents and their potential impact and then cites combinations that have won awards in competition.

For the styles it covers it is a go to spring board.

Got it! The library had it so I can read it before I buy it. Thanks everyone.

Love it when that happens. Unfortunately, my library carries very little in the way of brewing text. I had requested they obtain some of the collegiate texts but, I won;t be holding my breath that they'll put any priority on $300 brewing texts.

Back