I have hit my estimated final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have hit my estimated final gravity for my Hefe. I see no activity in the airlock, perhaps a bubble every five minuets. This was my first reading and breaking of the airlock; it smells like heaven its self:D

Question: Since this is what BeerSmith said I would end with (and I even had a weaker OG than predicted, probably due to user error) and we have very little airlock activity, should I just bottle tomorrow, or go through the three day drill of checking final gravity. Note: My wine thief dribbles a bit and I am spilling beer on a rug and also I am using a 6 1/2 gal carboy and it just barely reaches and it takes forever to get a good sample. This was put in fermenter last Saturday (10 days ago).

Probably safe to bottle, but do you want to risk the batch on probably. I would test again in a few day and be able to sleep better knowing you bottles wont blow up.

OK, I am chilling the sample I took now in the fridge. I know it'll still be green, but oh, it smells so good and that color! Nothing like that pee water I've been forced to drink for years that, well, looked pretty much like water a midget with a micro bladder relieved himself in. This is real amber!

Bill

I tasted the sample I drew off for gravity reading for the Hefe. It seems a little weak in hops, but some of the yeast had settled to the bottom of the glass I had it in in the fridge. It had a really good taste though and I am very proud of my first brew. It's real beer. Next time I will add a bit more hops. I cut a little too much when I adjusted for full volume boil. The kit said cut 15-25% and I went the whole 25%. I would have liked a bit more hops. Just add that to the note book I guess for the next go round. I also think I should drink it at a little hight temperature than straight out of the fridge. I didn't tast any bannana or bubble gum, so I guess the temps weren't too high after all.

TheSlink :mug:

Latest posts

Back