Suggested measurements for an extract recipe for a Boulevard - Lunar Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishart7

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, so I'm only doing extract recipes, but I recently had a Boulevard - Lunar Ale and I loved it! I'd like to brew something similar to it but I don't know where to get a recipe that would match it. I'm not looking to make a clone or match it exactly! Any suggestions on how I would achieve this type of beer would be appreciated! Their website actually has some of the ingredients, but obviously no measurements. http://www.blvdbeer.com/lunarale.htm How do I get the measurements?

Some include:
Pale Malt
Wheat
Wheat Malt
Amber Malt
Dehusked Chocolate Malt
Magnum and Simcoe Hops
German Roasted Malt
IBUs 13
Starting Gravity 12 degrees Plato
4.5% alcohol by volume

Sounds like a challenge up my alley!

I'll grab a 6'er on the way home, and we'll figger this one out. Cheers mate!

That to me looks like a Dusseldorf AltBier (a lager style). Seems they've strived for a "quick alt" by creating an ale.

Appearance: Orange-bronze to deep copper color, yet stopping short of brown. Brilliant clarity (may be filtered). Thick, creamy, long-lasting off-white head.

Flavor: Assertive hop bitterness well balanced by a sturdy yet clean and crisp malt character. The malt presence is moderated by high attenuation, but considerable rich and complex malt flavors remain. Some fruity esters may survive the lagering period. A long-lasting, dry, bittersweet or nutty finish reflects both the hop bitterness and malt complexity. Noble hop flavor can be moderate to low. No roasted malt flavors or harshness. No diacetyl. Some yeast strains may impart a slight sulfury character. A light minerally character is also sometimes present in the finish, but is not required.

Ingredients: Grists vary, but usually consist of German base malts with small amounts of crystal, chocolate, and/or black malts used to adjust color. Occasionally will include some wheat. Spalt hops are traditional, but other noble hops can also be used. Moderately carbonate water. Clean, highly attenuative ale yeast. A step mash or decoction mash program is traditional.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.046 – 1.054
IBUs: 35 – 50 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 13 – 17 ABV: 4.5 – 5.2%

Back