Good day from South East Georgia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir, I am attempting to brew an IPA w/ the basic 2 plastic bucket set up. Although its not looking to good. I'm not sure about the yeast I had. It came under the can.

Sounds good. Be more specific about the yeast. I take it you are using dry yeast. What brand is it? Can of what, extract? Are you going all extract or will you be steeping some grains as well? ...Is this a Mr. Beer kit?

Always good to see a new Georgia brewer. I'm in the Warner Robins area if you need anything.

Appreicate it lefty.

No its not a Mr. Beer kit, although i have done that once (learned what "young beer" taste like). Its Coopers IPA malt extract (the bitter, the better) already hopped. Very basic although I got a bad feeling about the dry yeast under the cap. I literally had to knock the dust of this can of malt, so that only should of told me that the yeast might of been ka-put. I am heading to the HBS tomorrow to pick up a fresh packet in hopes of salvaging this batch.

But heres a quick question. If the pitching temp for this type of yeast was high 60s to low 70s. If I cool the wort after boiling then put it in the fermenter with the extra 2-3 gallons of cold water this will drop the temp pretty low. Do you wait till it gets back up to pitch or what??:confused:

You may be ok, but typically many folks find that the yeast under the can lid can be rather dated. If it's been more than two to three days since pitching, and you see no action, you may want to re pitch with a fresher batch of dry yeast.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Next time you brew pick up some fresh dried yeast. The stuff in the can can be old and maybe not stored under the best conditions. I'm looking forward to hearing how your beer tastes!

Did I say can can?

Hello from the northside! I'm in Cartersville, if you want to check our our homebrew club website (mostly HBT members) www.inhbc.org

Appreicate it lefty.

No its not a Mr. Beer kit, although i have done that once (learned what "young beer" taste like). Its Coopers IPA malt extract (the bitter, the better) already hopped. Very basic although I got a bad feeling about the dry yeast under the cap. I literally had to knock the dust of this can of malt, so that only should of told me that the yeast might of been ka-put. I am heading to the HBS tomorrow to pick up a fresh packet in hopes of salvaging this batch.

But heres a quick question. If the pitching temp for this type of yeast was high 60s to low 70s. If I cool the wort after boiling then put it in the fermenter with the extra 2-3 gallons of cold water this will drop the temp pretty low. Do you wait till it gets back up to pitch or what??:confused:

If you add the water as it is cooling you won't have to worry about it getting too cold. A good time to add it would be when your wurt gets to the 90's. On the other hand you would need some really cold water for it to be too cold. If you are worried about it then just measure the temp of what comes out of the tap.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Next time you brew pick up some fresh dried yeast. The stuff in the can can be old and maybe not stored under the best conditions. I'm looking forward to hearing how your beer tastes!

Did I say can can?

Ya know, thats what I was planning on doing so I called my LHB and told him what happend. He said come on by and I'll get ya some free yeast since your having trouble. Well the morning I was suppose to go, I found my fermentor rolling along quite nicely (3 days after I pitch the yeast). I also told my LHB owner this, and he still gave me some yeast for free and a discount on my next batch of ingredients. I tell ya, there is no substitution for good, honest salesmanship.

are you in the army? I used to live in hinesville. moved there my senior year and went to Bradwell institute. my pops was in the army, kinda sucked moving for just that year.

Brewiz and I live in the 30281 area code. come on by one weekend and we'll brew a batch of all grain and drink a few...

are you in the army? I used to live in hinesville. moved there my senior year and went to Bradwell institute. my pops was in the army, kinda sucked moving for just that year.

I at one time I was in the Army (M1 Abrams tanker), but I got out in 07 and have continued to work on Hunter Army Airfield as a DA civilian in Savannah since. Liked the area , so I just stayed. My wife actually went and graduated from Bradwell. What year are you talking about?

Back