Can I save a portion of my starter to use for future batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be possible...but could I build up a large starter and then save a portion of that starter to then be used for future batches?

Sure, just wash it and store it in sterile mason jars in your fridge. It's good for a couple of months at least. Some people have reported it coming back to life after a year in the fridge.

I've wondered something along this line for the expensive liquid yeasts - if you wash it and save it for a couple months, do you get the same results as if you had just bought it the same day?

I've wondered something along this line for the expensive liquid yeasts - if you wash it and save it for a couple months, do you get the same results as if you had just bought it the same day?

Yes and No. You can get the same results, but you may have to adjust the amount of yeast you use. I'll explain my take on it:

Same results can be had after a few months. But yeast will die. The more dead yeast in a brew the worse the beer will be, in theory. Most homebrewers won't experience this though. So it's not a real issue.

The bigger problem is yeast viability, and the effect it can have on your pitch rate. The % of yeast that are viable will be less, for sure, over any period of time. Therefore, your results won't be the same unless you account for this and pitch more. The pitch calculator at Mr Malty, for example, takes this into account.

I think a good rule of thumb is to limit repitching to about 6 batches to prevent too much dead yeast from entering your beer. And if you are storing washed yeast, you might limit it from 6 months to a year. It can lose viability by that point.

But there is no hard and fast rule. Generally speaking, if you get in the neighbourhood with the pitch rate, and there is no infection, you should be ok for quite a while.

Sure, just wash it and store it in sterile mason jars in your fridge. It's good for a couple of months at least. Some people have reported it coming back to life after a year in the fridge.

I'm a bit confused, Isn't yeast washing taking what's left over after primary fermentation, like described here? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

I'm wondering if I can make a large starter, pour off a portion of the starter into another sanitized container, seal it up and store it in the fridge. Would that work at all?

I wash the yeast, then in the final batch I add some cooled wort into it and fill up usually 3 sanitized 12 oz plastice soda bottles. Recycling at its best. I label it and throw them in the fridge. I usually take them out the night before brewing or when I start. I degass, allow air in and shake to aerate. I think a well aerated yeast starter is more important than well aerated wort to start off a killer fermentation.
Never have had a problem yet, it works great. I have reused yeast this way over three months old, I just take them out the night before. I lost the post where someone here covered this technique.

Back