AHS Smokin Hot Blonde question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBG_TAG

Reaction score
Hey all...

I've got this in my fermenter...been a week...getting ready to add the chipotle peppers that it calls for. Says to put it in a secondary for 3 days. I don't ever secondary my beers. Just wondered if I have to or can I just put the peppers in the primary, then transfer to keg after the requisite three days?

Anyone else brewed this? How about the heat from the peppers? Is three days long enough?

Thanks,

Scott

I have not brewed this, and I have no official source saying you have to rack to a secondary, but in my experience it is always best to rack to a secondary before adding anything else to the beer. I have made a summer shandy recipe and a blackberry wheat recipe that had additions to the secondary. I found that by racking off the yeast cake before adding more "stuff" to your beer, you get a cleaner beer when it is time to carb/condition the beer. Again though, this is purely my opinion and not a brewing fact. Hope it helps, let me know how this beer turns out, sounds good!

Thanks for the reply. Thankfully, I read some other posts concerning chipotle peppers and I was going to use the ones in the Adobo sauce, but instead, found some that were dried from a local Mexican Grocery story.

Thanks for the info about the secondary. I will do it.

I don't use a secondary (finish fermentation at ~36f for a week = very very clear beer). So when a recipe calls for something like this (eg oak chips) I keg and put the additive in a bag until I get the desired taste. Works great.

Latest posts

Back