Bottle conditioning problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestler63

Reaction score
I did a scottish heavy that was a 1.096 OG and finished at 1.019. This was on the primary for 3 weeks and secondary for 8 weeks. I kegged half of this batch and bottled the other half.
The kegged beer was carbonated over 7 days and was absolutely fabulous, one of my favorite beers so far. The bottled beer has been in bombers for 4 weeks at 65 degrees and is very poorly carbonated. Should I have added some dry yeast with the priming sugar? Will this beer corbonate more over time? I really don't want to lose this beer.
Cheers:mug:

Leave it. It will eventually carb. My imperial stout took like 4 months to carb completely. Big beers take longer to condition.

Since you are storing the bottles under 70 degrees. it's going to take longer regardless as to whether or not it is a big beer.

But it IS a big beer you have going there. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

Make sure it's in a warm place. It wouldn't hurt to give them a swiirl to rouse the yeast, and then sit it out. It will carb up eventually.

Make sure it's in a warm place. It wouldn't hurt to give them a swiirl to rouse the yeast, and then sit it out. It will carb up eventually.

Totally, patience is the name of the game here!! Although it really sucks having to wait even longer after getting a beer in bottle. I open a bottle every week after I hit the two week mark, if it ain’t ready then I cook something using the flat beer (i.e. bison beer stew!!)

Meah. Some batches just don't carbonate well in the bottle. Who knows the reasons.

I've got a batch of otherwise fine Belgian Strong Golden ale that is as flat as Kiera Knightly. And its been in the bottle 6 months now. I'm positive I used the standard amount of priming sugar. I do all my carbonation via bottle conditioning and I'm probably past the "newb" brewer point (20+ batches). Yet this batch is basically shiit because of the lack of carbonation.

4 weeks is not long enough to declare it done, but if it ain't carbed after 3 months, then something probably went wrong. I'm doing lots of low-gravity batches now, but the next one that's over 1.060 starting will get some extra dry yeast at bottling, just to make sure.

Back