Variations in OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I tried a NB recipe for a porter and according to a file on their site the OG should be around 1061. But on the box for the kit was a label that said the OG should be 1052. To make it more interesting, I think my OG was 1068.

Any ideas on why my OG might have been so far off? I assume 1052 was what it should have been. I'm also wondering what it might mean for the batch.

Could be because you didn't quite have enough water, either starting out or too much boiled off. Your hydrometer could also account for a little of the discrepancy, but not normally that much. Either way, not a big deal. Just more alcohol in the final product.

I'm still a newbie but, what temp did you take your readings at? Did you calculate for temp correction? Could be like said above, not enough water.

I think the temperature was around 70 but it could have been lower. I measured the temp in the pot to make sure it was chilled enough but I didn't measure again after moving it to my carboy. I should probably make a temperature note when I take my readings but I don't like to mess with the wort after a boil.

I suppose the water could have been off. The recipe did call for 1.5g when it seems like most call for 2g.

I also tried to take a reading right from the thief. I prefer to use the vial that came with the hydrometer but that takes two "dunks" to fill properly. Like I said, I like to not touch the wort after it's cooled so I tried just using the thief this time. That dang thief still gives me fits - for some reason I can't get used to using it. Maybe I'll go back to using the vial and dunking twice next time.

Latest posts

Back