Converting All-grain Recipe to Extract -- lactic acid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosaisu

Reaction score
I am converting an all-grain recipe (here's the recipe) to extract. The all-grain recipe calls for 5 ml lactic acid, which it appears is being added to the mash for 60 mins . Should I still use the lactic acid in my extract version, and if so when should I add it (steep at 150 prior to boil, add at 60 minutes, flameout, or just prior to bottling?)

There's some decent info here and here about using acids in brewing. Most AG brewers use lactic not only for the twang but to lower the pH of the mash (in lieu of the crap shoot that is a true sour mash).

In extract brews I've heard of people adding it anywhere from flameout to bottling, though if it were me I would probably add it at bottling if I wanted it solely for flavor (treating it like you would a flavor extract).

It can get too sour pretty quickly and 5mL is about 1 tsp, so you may want to start by adding 1/4tsp, gently stir it in, taste and add more 1/4tsp at a time until you like what you taste.

As far as whether or not you should still use it, that's really up to you. If you like the tartness/sourness of Belgian Wits and Berliner Weiss and you want your IPA recipe to incorporate that flavor then you certainly should.

Thanks! The links were quite helpful. I've had and enjoyed the Cali-Belgique a few times now and hadn't noticed pronounced sour notes but maybe I'll try adding a bit of lactic acid at a time at bottling and see how it tastes.

Back