Irish red style ale - would like feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first recipe. I've based it on an all grain recipe I found. Due to lack of space I am using extracts. Let me know what you think.

7lbs breiss light DME
1lb flaked barley
.5 lb breiss 80 crystal malt
.12lb muntons chocolate malt
1oz northern brewers hops (60 mins)
.5oz Kent goldings UK (5 mins)
1/2 tsp Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1084 Irish ale yeast

Put specialty grains in 3gals of spring water. Steeped at 155 degrees for 30 mins. Removed grains. Brought to a boil, removed from heat to add DME. Returned to heat, foamed like crazy. Once returned to boiling and after hot break added brewer hops and started 60 minute timer.

That's where I currently stand. Thoughts?

Roasted barley is traditionally where you get your color in an Irish Red. There is also generally not an aroma hop. I would also get a cleaner yeast than that and one that would floc better.

Yea swap the Chocolate malt with 4oz of Roasted Barley (300SRM, not 500+SRM Black Roasted Barley) next time. Yours should still turn out pretty decent, but the Roasted Barley would be much better. I don't care too much for the Irish Ale yeast, in my Reds or Stouts.

Back