Best option to raise pH, cherry wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahammcp

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old cherry wine. Using color test strips, I've measured the pH to be between 2.5 and 3! Thinking this could not be true, I purchased a second pH testing set...it's true!

What is my best option to raise my pH? I've heard a few mention potassium carbonate?
On the same note, what is the most desirable pH level?

Thanks!

I have a 3 month old cherry wine. Using color test strips, I've measured the pH to be between 2.5 and 3! Thinking this could not be true, I purchased a second pH testing set...it's true!

What is my best option to raise my pH? I've heard a few mention potassium carbonate?
On the same note, what is the most desirable pH level?

Thanks!

First, those strips are notoriously inaccurate. So taste the wine. Does it taste like it really needs to have chalk added to it? If it's tart, that will change with time. If it's really as sour as vinegar (pH of 2.4-3ish), then it doesn't seem that adding alkali will help as that may be contamination.

Back