How much pressure can a faucet handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
I am thinking about setting up my kegerator for two corneys, but I already have a single faucet in the middle of the door. I'd like to keep it symmetrical and add a faucet to either side. The third faucet I'd like to run tap water, just a hose into the fridge with a copper coil and then to the faucet. City water runs much higher than a keg, 40psi or more.
I'm wondering if the faucet would work with that much pressure. Would it leak? Would it come blasting out? Would a flow control work or do I need to regulate it down to 10psi?

You can get reducers to drop water pressure before it enters the copper, too.

Soda is typically carbonated at 30 PSI so 40 should be fine. You could always add a valve to the water line that isn't opened all the way if you're concerned about the pressure.

Or you could always add in a hydronic pressure regulator in-line and be able to set it how you like.

I accidentally turned my reg up to 40 psi once. I was new to brewing and had the typical 5ft line. Wish I had video of the beer shower I took!

I accidentally turned my reg up to 40 psi once. I was new to brewing and had the typical 5ft line. Wish I had video of the beer shower I took!

Thats what I figure I'd get if I tried to run on full pressure. I've got an extra faucet somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

You could also try the old epoxy mixing sticks trick in the copper to slow the flow down.

That's what I do to serve home made soda on my 10' beverage lines. I just use about 3 of them in the dip tube in the keg.

Then I can carb and serve at 30 PSI but still get a nice pour.

Found my faucet and Jimmy rigged it to my kitchen sink sprayer hose. The beer faucet held the pressure, the water did come gushing out a little too much imho, so perhaps a small valve for flow control.

You could also try the old epoxy mixing sticks trick in the copper to slow the flow down.

That's what I do to serve home made soda on my 10' beverage lines. I just use about 3 of them in the dip tube in the keg.

Then I can carb and serve at 30 PSI but still get a nice pour.

This will only work to reduce the pressure at the spout while the flow is on. Once the flow is shut off at the faucet the total system pressure will equilibrate to the supply pressure.

This will only work to reduce the pressure at the spout while the flow is on. Once the flow is shut off at the faucet the total system pressure will equilibrate to the supply pressure.

Indeed. But, that is always the case, whether using a properly tuned beer line or a flow-control faucet.

In any case, I don't see a problem. Faucets are used all the time with highly carbonated beverages...

Cheers!

I crank mine up WAY UP all the time! I think your biggest issue is going to be FLOW once it hits the faucet the pressure behind it is gonna make it SPEW in the glass like crazy! I would be using a pressure regulator inline if I wanted to do what your talking about.

Good idea, by the way! I like it. Kind of like a in door water dispenser on a fridge. Add a carbon filter and your golden!

Cheers
Jay

I'm not really sure I see your point? The mixing sticks work to slow down the flow by causing increased resistance to your pour, basically the same as lengthening the lines.

This allows me to carb and serve soda @ 30 PSI, using my standard line length, and then if the next keg is kombucha or something, I don't have 30' of line I need to swap out.

I'm not really sure I see your point? The mixing sticks work to slow down the flow by causing increased resistance to your pour, basically the same as lengthening the lines.

This allows me to carb and serve soda @ 30 PSI, using my standard line length, and then if the next keg is kombucha or something, I don't have 30' of line I need to swap out.

As far as I read the initial question, it is asking if a closed faucet can hold back that pressure. Someone suggested using the mixing stick to reduce the pressure. As far as OP's question is concerned an epoxy mixing stick will not reduce the pressure while the faucet is closed. Also in my post I did state that the mixing stick will reduce nozzle pressure while the fluid is flowing, not while it is static.

Back