Man, I can't wait to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've taken a bit of an unintentional hiatus recently, and have not brewed in 3+ weeks. Been really busy with a lot of stuff and just haven't quite had the time. But I am putting a stop to that this weekend. Making a nice Robust Porter for the winter months.

10lb MO
1lb Crystal 90
.5lb British Chocolate
.5lb Roasted Barley
1oz Brewers Gold @ 60
1oz Fuggles @ 2
Wyeast Thames Valley 1275, making a starter tomorrow.

No real point to this thread. Just excited to be back up and brewing again. :tank:

Looks more like a stout to me, but a nice one with the MO.

I brewed for the first time in a while on Monday myself. Here's to getting back to brewing. :ban:

That looks effing yummy. Just had the first taste of my bottled london porter last night. Still green at only a week out, but it's gonna be awesome. I used 9 lbs MO, 7 oz each of chocolate and patent, 3oz of roasted barley and 14oz of crystal 40L. It's really roasty, even at this green stage. Good luck!

Lil' Sparky said:
Looks more like a stout to me, but a nice one with the MO.

I brewed for the first time in a while on Monday myself. Here's to getting back to brewing. :ban:

Yeah it is on the brink. I've actually been kind of racking my brain to figure out a difference. Obviously a stout is darker, but according to the bjcp, there is some overlap in SRM; and this one falls in that overlap. And also, with this particular beer, the IBU's are going to come out at the high end for a Porter, or the low end for a Stout. Again, there is some overlap. I was never really able to come up with a clear cut conclusion on what style this beer would be. But, I rarely brew to style. I just brew what I think will taste good.

Usually a stout will have more roasted character than a porter. In fact, you can brew a perfectly good porter without any roasted barley. Usually I don't put it in there. Your recipe doesn't look that much different than the stouts I've brewed. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just not sure that it's a porter. Like I said, I'm sure it'll turn out great. The next time I brew a stout, I intend on trying some MO, myself.

I'm lucky to brew once a month, with this weekend a Cranberry Ale:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.4 %
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
1.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min) Hops 12.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
4.00 lb Cranberries (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

For the cranberries I'm going to use 32 oz. of 100% cranberry juice in the secondary. Too much?

JeffNYC said:
I'm lucky to brew once a month ...

I'm lucky to brew that often myself. I need to brew more often, so I'm going to start brewing during the week because weekend days/nights are too busy with other stuff.

3 weeks? bah. I had to take 4 months off to move. Now THAT was painful. I brewed 4 days in a row once I finally could brew again!! Now I'm keeping 5 fermenters and 4 kegs full :D... well, trying my damndest too.

Gentlemen,

'I can't wait to brew',
or can I?...
To brew or not to brew?
{ Brewers indesision...}
{???...???}

Last year, my ale was good till june,
{ale which had been bottled in May}
then began to fall off in quality.
Three batches, one was perfect,
#2 was not as good,
and #3 was even less good.

I attributed it to the heat.
I talked to Mr. Wort and he confirmed that.
"Knife, Ale likes 68 degrees"

I was to start brewing after the second killing frost
down here in North Texas. {ie. late november.}
It is now week #2 of October.
Hmmmm...

Just came in from feeding my poultry and a little sprinkle of rain is coming down. That will help the temperature come down.

Conclusion:

I will wait till a big rain or two has lowered the temp. to:
'not so hot'.
Six more weeks till November, week #3.
I will wait till...
November week #1.

There.

Thank you

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com

"I attributed it to the heat.
I talked to Mr. Wort and he confirmed that.
"Knife, Ale likes 68 degrees"

I was to start brewing after the second killing frost
down here in North Texas. {ie. late november.}
It is now week #2 of October.
Hmmmm..."

I have one week sometime(don't know when) in Jan/Feb to brew when it will be below 68f:( , soI had to invest in 2 temp controlled chest freezers.

Back