Beer Cocktails Part Deux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Awesome forum,

I know there was a thread started on this in Jan/Feb 2011; it did not go anywhere, so I thought I might try a second, with the idea of taking this thing about using beer as a centerpiece in more complex cocktails a bit more seriously.

The last edition of Beer Advocate had this recipe from the Star bar right here in Denver:

Colorado Whiskey Sour

1 oz. Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey
1/2 oz Rocky Mountain Blackberry Whiskey
6 oz New Belgium La Folle, or other flanders style red ale

Well, my version is shown in the pic. My local liquor store was sold out of Stranahan's, so I substituted Black Canyon from Longmont, Colorado. Likewise, they did not have the La Folie, so I substituted a well known version from Belgium.

The total bill for this was $79.

Wow.... incredible. I am into my third one and barely able to type this :) Delicious!

Anyone else care to share their Beer Cocktails?
:tank:

colorado whisky sour.jpg

Please someone else post up some recipes, this thread has me intrigued.
I'm sorry but I don't have any good recipes that involve liquor.

By the way, enjoy the stranahans. I first tried it at a 24 hr bike race and have been searching for it ever since. Whenever I find I buy a few bottles but once those are gone I have to start the search again.

Much simpler and more common, but I enjoy putting Rogue's Dead Guy whiskey in Dead Guy Ale.

Much simpler and more common, but I enjoy putting Rogue's Dead Guy whiskey in Dead Guy Ale.

I really like the bourbon barrel aged brews, and have "cheated" by doing just that. Favorites are 1/2 oz of Red Stag in a variety of stouts, rum in seasonal pumpkin ales, and lemoncelo in wheat beers. Next up, I am going to try to get a good combination of tequila (maybe Maestro Diamond Dobbel) in a good Mexican lager or amber.
:mug:

If you have great moderately priced and up beeri wouldn't make a cocktail. If I had some cheap sub par brews I'm all for it.

Not putting good whiskey in my coke, not using top shelf gin to make a gin and tonic...it's just a waste!

Back