Well, it is possible to ruin apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
I ran across a carboy in the basement today. It had 2 gallons of apfelwein in it that I put down in probably August or September of 2008.

Having a keg to spare, I racked it over (it was still on the yeast) for chilling and carbing. I tasted some.

Cider city, baby, and lots of higher alcohol heat.

We'll see how it is once it's chilled, but I don't hold out too much hope.

Incidentally, no sign or smell of autolysis after, what, six months?

If nothing else, I'll use it as a marinade or something.

What do you mean by "cider city" isnt it supposed to taste like cider?

I've just put some on tap from september. It tastes great. (not to rub it in) :D

I would want to know how much sugar you added to the cider. Also, what temp did you ferment at? If it's too high that could definitely add to the hot alcohol taste. :mug:

I think he means vinegar

Yep. Cider vinegar. I wasn't very clear about that. I think acetobacter may have got to it.

We'll see how it is after it's chilled and carbed. Maybe it won't be _too_ vinegary. 3 or 4 glasses, and I probably won't care anyhow.

Yes, virginia, it's vinegar. A dumper. However, I may bottle up some of it for cooking. It's a nice vinegar, but lousy apfelwein.

The real bummer is, I'm going to have to absolutely NUKE that keg. I'm thinking double-strength iodophor for a week, followed by rebuild, followed by no-rinse iodophor, for starters.

Back