Using Flaked Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sreichenberger

Reaction score
Good evening!

I am using flaked wheat to try to make some wheat beer. Before adding the wort to the carboy, should I strain out the mashed flakes with the barley syrup or should I leave it in the wort as it ferments?

Thanks,

Stephan

Flaked wheat needs to be mashed (which is different from steeping), and not added to the boil.

If you already boiled the lot, yeah, strain them out. In that case, the flakes will cause cloudiness in the beer, add some flavor, but won't contribute to the wort sugars. Next time, look up mashing, that's the proper way to handle (cereal) adjuncts in beer.

Flaked wheat needs to be mashed (which is different from steeping), and not added to the boil.

If you already boiled the lot, yeah, strain them out. In that case, the flakes will cause cloudiness in the beer, add some flavor, but won't contribute to the wort sugars. Next time, look up mashing, that's the proper way to handle (cereal) adjuncts in beer.

Thanks! I had to throw the whole thing away. What's a good page to read up on mashing? Will I need grain bags?

Why did you throw it away?

Although you do a bit better by mashing them, a little starch from steeping is an asset in a wheat beer, there's nothing wrong with that.

Search in Google:
site:homebrewtalk.com partial mash​

Also search for BIAB.

Some brewers mash in a large pot in a pre-warmed oven or a small cooler and a voile bag or colander to separate the wort from the grains. Key is to keep the mash between 148 and 160F for an hour.

Back