Q about taking gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerMatt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle my first batch. Brewing a Coopers family secret amber ale extract. Been in the fermenter since 4th, planning to possibly bottle next weekend or the weekend after.

Which leads to the questions. I've read that it doesn't hurt the beer to sit in the fermenter after it's done fermenting. How long can it be stored there before possible trouble? I'd need to clean up the garage, wash my bottle sanitizer machine thoroughly, sanitize the bottles and do the actual bottling, and I fear I might not have the time nor the energy to do all within one weekend.

Another dumb thing that bothers me is taking the gravity reading. If I was to fill the test tube using the spigot, some beer inevitably gets left into the mechanism and being exposed to air. If I'm taking gravity readings for say three times during one week, then decide to postpone the bottling for an another week would I need to somehow clean the inside of the spigot upon bottling?

Another one, I've read that I should be getting steady readings for several days in a row to verify fermenting has stopped, but can anyone tell me what kind of a FG should I be getting from the said kit?

Third one, my starter kit came with a bag of carbonation drops that look a lot like a bag of sweets. I assume I can use those just as well instead of priming, specially since I don't have a bottling bucket.

Thanks in advance!

Getting ready to bottle my first batch. Brewing a Coopers family secret amber ale extract. Been in the fermenter since 4th, planning to possibly bottle next weekend or the weekend after.

Which leads to the questions. I've read that it doesn't hurt the beer to sit in the fermenter after it's done fermenting. How long can it be stored there before possible trouble? I'd need to clean up the garage, wash my bottle sanitizer machine thoroughly, sanitize the bottles and do the actual bottling, and I fear I might not have the time nor the energy to do all within one weekend.

Another dumb thing that bothers me is taking the gravity reading. If I was to fill the test tube using the spigot, some beer inevitably gets left into the mechanism and being exposed to air. If I'm taking gravity readings for say three times during one week, then decide to postpone the bottling for an another week would I need to somehow clean the inside of the spigot upon bottling?

Another one, I've read that I should be getting steady readings for several days in a row to verify fermenting has stopped, but can anyone tell me what kind of a FG should I be getting from the said kit?

Third one, my starter kit came with a bag of carbonation drops that look a lot like a bag of sweets. I assume I can use those just as well instead of priming, specially since I don't have a bottling bucket.

Thanks in advance!

All I can add is to use sugar cubes instead of the candy drops. You'll notice a faster fermentation and much better head retention. Buy the Domino cubes with 198 count per box....they fit in the end of the bottle and work great. Btw, one cube per bottle.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip! We don't have domino in finland but I know just the thing I'm gonna use...

Oh, I'm using 0,75l bottles. Still one cube per bottle?

If you mean 750 ML bottles then use 2 cubes. Btw, I see you're a biker....just for shyt and giggles, I ride a 2002 Fatboy.

I'd be hesitant to use the spigot come bottling time... Do you have a siphon? If not, order one and let the beer sit for a few days while it arrives.

For future samplings, you can order a large syringe and tubing to take samples from the stopper opening. I use a 150mL one for my samples.

I'd be hesitant to use the spigot come bottling time... Do you have a siphon? If not, order one and let the beer sit for a few days while it arrives.

For future samplings, you can order a large syringe and tubing to take samples from the stopper opening. I use a 150mL one for my samples.

What I thought as well. Gotta go buy an autosiphon then, they sell them at every supermarket here.

I'd recommend sticking with the carb drops, they're made for carbonating beer.
If your trub is below the spigot, I would bottle from the spigot. That's much easier than trying to bottle directly from an autosyphon.
Spray a little sanitizer into the mouth of the spigot before you bottle. Hook a hose to the spigot and bottle. If you can't hook a hose to it run the beer gently down the inside of the bottle.

I'd recommend sticking with the carb drops, they're made for carbonating beer.
If your trub is below the spigot, I would bottle from the spigot. That's much easier than trying to bottle directly from an autosyphon.
Spray a little sanitizer into the mouth of the spigot before you bottle. Hook a hose to the spigot and bottle. If you can't hook a hose to it run the beer gently down the inside of the bottle.

Hmm this calls for a 50/50 batch test!

Yes bottle from the spigot, taking gravity readings with the siphon. I have a coopers diy starter kit that came with a sort of a bottling wand, doesn't seem to be spring loaded but should do the job.

If you have a turkey baster. Clean and sanitize it and pull your gravity readings from the top

I have... but it's half full of brake fluid :D Can get a new one from a pharmacy though I think I rather get the siphon, seeing more future use with it.

Thanks guys for putting up with yet another noobie asking the samd damn questions over and over... I did do research but couldn't find the answers because there are a million threads of the same topic, from my experience forums that chain threads like that according to topic are way easier to search for info later.

First gravity reading taken today. It read 1.015 which gives a current ABV of 3,28%. Weak. Also what I noticed that the smell eminating from the fermentor has changed from sweet to kinda sour. I should probly let it sit for some time and see if it would still do anything. I sampled the little what I had in the test tube and it didn't really taste that good either yet, kinda like having drank a glass of diluted extract. Super bitter but not a whole lot of any other aromas.

First gravity reading taken today. It read 1.015 which gives a current ABV of 3,28%. Weak. Also what I noticed that the smell eminating from the fermentor has changed from sweet to kinda sour. I should probly let it sit for some time and see if it would still do anything. I sampled the little what I had in the test tube and it didn't really taste that good either yet, kinda like having drank a glass of diluted extract. Super bitter but not a whole lot of any other aromas.

Matt, what was your original gravity? How do you come up with 3.28 %?

Sorry past midnight getting a bit tired, thought I posted it there but didn't...

The OG reading, assuming I got it right, was 1.040. I did the math with a brewer's friend calculator I found from the internets.

Yep, you have 3.27% beer. I think they call that a sessions beer....because you can drink a few and not get shyt face drunk :mug:

Why? I've followed the instructions as best as I could. Though it has only been in the fermentator for two weeks so I suppose it's possible it'll still rise? Gotta keep an eye on it and take a new reading some days later...

1.015 is a bit high for a coopers kit. Normally you would be aiming for 1.011 or below. Depending what kind of dry fermentable you used (dextrose or table sugar should finish lower than dry malt extract or brew enhancer). But after 2 weeks it is probably done. I would check the temperature and make sure it is high 60s. Too cold and the yeast go to sleep. Also gently rouse some of the yeast with a sanitised long spoon, but don't get air bubbles in there. If the gravity is still the same in a few days you are done, bottle it.

Brew enhancer 1 I believe what was in the kit, the one without the malt. Ambient temp is about 70-71f. Don't have a dunk-in thermometer yet and the sticker is pretty vague. I'll give it a gentle stir and see what happens.

Thanks again!

One more Q.

Could insufficient aeration cause the yeast to stop early? I did give it a thorough stir but later found you're supposed to slosh it around for several minutes?!

Took a new reading today. The cooper's gravity meter isn't exactly a precision instrument, the tube I'm supposed to measure it in is so narrow it creates a bit of a piston action so I gotta tap the tip and float it up and down to get an accurate reading. But I THINK the gauge is showing one point less today reading 1.014. I gave the muck in the bottom a gentle stir a moment ago being careful not to disturb the surface too much, and judging by the smell that filled the room shortly after I think the yeastie boys are still hard at it. Gonna check again at saturday and see if there's any change. It still tasted super bitter but I think I did get a whiff of maltyness that wasn't there yesterday.

Not sure if it's an indicator of anything but the sample I took from the surface with a sanitized cup was completely clear when I poured it into the tube. Loving the color btw, can't wait to get to sample the final product!

1.014 @ 3,41%. It's done. Wtf has happened? Im in the edge of should I even bother bottling it. Well I'm going to, if not else then to get experience but I must confess being a bit disappointed.

1.014 @ 3,41%. It's done. Wtf has happened? Im in the edge of should I even bother bottling it. Well I'm going to, if not else then to get experience but I must confess being a bit disappointed.

Sheesh, yes bottle it if tastes ok. With 3.4% you can drink a few more and pee a little more......why waste good beer :mug:

I've been going through the mental process of what had I done wrong to F the brew up and the best answer I can come up with is I trusted the stick on thermometer too much and pitched the yeast in too hot killing some of it. When I make the next batch would it be OK to cool the wort to the ballpark and then let it sit to the next day on the brew site before pitching the yeast?

I use stick-on thermometers on all of my carboys and have found them to be pretty accurate. I doubt it would hurt anything to wait til next day......otherwise you could freeze plastic water bottles to speed up the cooling process.

I use 4 one half gallon plastic milk jugs and they cool my wort down to 64F in less than an hour.

One thing worth mentioning is to use a small bright flashlight when viewing the stick on strip. It makes the number much more easy to see.

Back