Step Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohack

Reaction score
I've brewed many batches using a one-step infusion mash so I thought I'd try a step mash. I broke out my handy Papazian and wow..what? At one point he says "For every pound of grains and adjuncts used, 1 quart of water at a temperature of 130 degrees is necessary to decrease and stabilize the temperature of the mash to 120 to 124 degrees". How do you DECREASE a mash to 120-124 using 130 degree water???? If you have a copy of Papazian's book (otherwise awesome) take a look at pp 283-285 (3rd edition). It starts out straight forward and then seems to go on a temperature rollercoaster.

I tried to make a spreadsheet to calculate water additions but find myself stuck trying to figure out how much water at what temp to add when (ie. 1/2 qt at 200ish degrees depending on your altitude to increase temp by increments of 18 degrees?).

How do you get a 122 degree mash with 130 degree water (according to the instructions)? I have always used the 1 quart water to 1 pound grain will yield a temp of 16-18 degree drop in temp rule of thumb (from the same book). My guess is that I'm not getting something.

Will this mash procedure work..?

1. Start a mash out at 122 degrees and hold it for 30 min. (starting water temp is 139 degrees, quantity is 1qt/1 lb grain)

2. Increase the temperature to 152-154 and hold for 20-30 min. (use burner to adjust temp).

3. Sparge with 170 degree water (use 1/2 gal per lb grain as guide).

My recipe is 13lbs total.

Thanks for any assistance

I'm not sure he knows what he's saying, either.
That whole chapter is a little confusing.

If the tun is preheated to 122 and the grain is at 72, use 13 qt water at 131.
(There are several calculators available online. Try BeerSmith - 21 days free trial).

Take a look at How to Brew - By John Palmer which I think describes step mashing.

I think it also includes formulas to calculate how hot and how much water to add to raise the mash X degrees.

I only do single infusions myself.

The first addition of water uses the strike water equation...then you use the infusion water equation after that. I just did a quick calculation and I got about 131.5 degree F strike water when you have 74 degree F grain, a 1:1 water/grain ratio (qt/pound), and your target temp is 122 degrees F.

+1 on John Palmer, He cuts right to the chase and is easy to understand.
side note: 1:1 water/grain ratio is to low should be 1.25 to 1.50 to1.

I'd say 1qt/lb is too low if you are NOT going use additional infusions for stepping the temp up. When you step mash with direct heat or HERMS/RIMS, you won't introduce more water into the system and you're right, 1qt is way too low to keep the mash fluid.

side note: 1:1 water/grain ratio is to low should be 1.25 to 1.50 to1.
Yea, based on the target temp it seemed obv it was a protein rest which prefers a thick mash...and it will also need to be stepped up to a higher temp which is when you'll add the additional water.

Back