Acid amount help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysigp226

Reaction score
Trying my first batch of hard cider tonight. Never done beer or anything before now. I got a kit from a local homebrew place and purchased 6 gallons of 100% apple cider/pasteurized/no preservs/etc

I was reading through my instructions and got to the point of measuring acid and realized I have no measuring device for that.

Hydrometer shows SG is 1.049 (+/- 0.001..I'm new at this)

The apple cider tastes "balanced" (eg: my family is currently drinking one of the other gallons as 'juice' and loving it)

Besides the kit I purchased the guy also sold me:

- Yeast Nutrient (1/2 teaspoon per gallon)
- Acid Blend (tartaric, malic and citric)
- Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast

Should I just put the 6 gallons in the bucket, add the yeast nutrient and yeast and let it ride or should I toss in some acid as well? If add acid, how do I know how much to add without measuring?

Thanks!

I always go by taste. If the cider tastes flat, you can add some acid blend. If it tastes fine, I'd leave it out. After fermentation, if it tastes flat, you could try a sample, and add a little acid blend to see if it improves. It's there strictly for flavor. You aren't adjusting the ph or acid in a case like this anyway.

Back