Soda on nitro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can it be done?

I know soda has to be kept at a significantly higher carbonation rate vs. beer, so will serving a soda with nitro even work? Will the high carbonation affect it at all when pouring a glass?

I think it may be the opposite... nitro is used for wine cuz it won't get absorbed into the fluid... hence, no carbonation... therefore, I think you might run into a flat soda if you tried charging with nitro...

Just my understanding from what I've read about wine/mead & nitro so far, I could be wrong...

Adolphus79 said:
I think it may be the opposite... nitro is used for wine cuz it won't get absorbed into the fluid... hence, no carbonation... therefore, I think you might run into a flat soda if you tried charging with nitro...

Just my understanding from what I've read about wine/mead & nitro so far, I could be wrong...

???

The soda would be pre-carbed with CO2 only. I would only be serving on nitro.

Even if you pre-carbonate to normal soda levels, as the keg level goes down, the partial pressure of the CO2 will drop. So, the soda will get flatter as time goes by. Say you carb at 40 psi and your gas mix is 20% CO2. The CO2 partial pressure is only 8 psi and that's about all the carbonating you'll have towards the end. (I won't try to run the calculation, because it is dependent on the rate at which the soda is consumed.)

This assumes that the soda is consumed over period of weeks. If you carb with CO2 and immediately dispense with beer gas, the CO2 level hasn't changed and you won't see any effect at all. The beer gas only occupies the head space.

[Borrowing from another thread: GEEK! GEEK!]

drink a guinness...there's not much carbonation in it. never had a nitro dispensed beverage thru the correct faucet that did taste carb'd.

I think you'll have a flat soda with 2 inches of head. it might cool, but it'll taste funny without the fizz.

I'm guessing your thinking of using a stout faucet? If so if the level you carb the beer at would be able to push the soda through it. All you would end up with is a flat soda with a huge head made up of tiny bubbles.

I think d_42 has it about right. If you serve on 100% nitro, the soda will initially taste/feel exactly as if it were served on CO2. As time goes by, CO2 will come out of solution, and there will be nothing to replace it. Eventually your soda will be flat. If you use beer gas, the soda will eventually be mostly flat, just like a stout on beer gas. I guess the question is: what exactly is the intent?

For those who are convinced that nitro is the only thing that creates creamy head...NO! It's light carbonation coupled with a stout (creamer) faucet and proper serving pressure. The only way to keep the proper serving pressure and carbonation is to replace some of the CO2 with nitrogen.

I also think that the lighter body would work against this being what you might imagine. On the upside, you can't really ruin it. Just alot of clean up if it fails and worries about off flavor in your beer later on.

Can it be done?

I know soda has to be kept at a significantly higher carbonation rate vs. beer, so will serving a soda with nitro even work? Will the high carbonation affect it at all when pouring a glass?
Well it's 12 years later so you probably wont even see this but, Pepsi is releasing Pepsi Nitro soon! So to answer your question, yes, I guess it is possible. I think it would be good to have a nitro root beer maybe, like a root beer float!

Back