Would you throw this out or keep going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
Thursday last week I bought some Foch Grapes from a local grower. I pulled about 10 lbs off of the stem and put in a bucket and washed them. The weather was cool and I set them outside with a lid. Because of work I wasn't able to do anything as I planned.

Last night I washed the grapes again and squashed them into a strainer bag. I then washed another 10 lbs of his grapes and squashed them into another strainerbag and squeezed out the juice into the bucket with the first 10 lbs. I added 5 lbs of sugar.

There is about 2 gallon of juice in the bucket. This juice is as dark red as the color of ripe Poke Berries, if you are familiar with Poke Berries.

Today I crushed 3 campden tablets, added 1/8 tsp pectic enzyme solution, 1 1/2 tsp fermax Yeast Nutrient. The SG is 1.09 and acid tested at about 3.

Would you keep going or throw it out? If I keep going, what yeast sounds good to use? If I keep going I plan on fermenting dry as is so the alcohol finishes at around 11 or 12%. I will them stablize and slightly sweeten.

Yeast I haveon hand is
Lalvin EC 1118
Lalvin K1-V1116
Red Star Montrachet
Red Star Pasteur Red
Red Star Cote Des Blancs
Red Star Pasteur Champagne
Safale s-04

What's the matter with it that you would throw it out?

Pasteur Red or Montrachet will probably work well for these grapes.

Eh I wouldn't worry about that too much, the campden tabs should take care of them for the most part and the exploding population of cultivated yeast will finish the job of microbial genocide. ;)

Also with the gravity that high it doesn't sound like anything major has taken hold.

Latest posts

Back