Burner Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have done all of my brewing on a standard turkey fryer which pooped out on me this week. I think it rusted out and is leaking from someplace. I'm finally looking to get a new one.

I am looking at hurricane burners but I am not sure which one. Everyone seems to recommend the brand. Suggestions?

Do you use it with a standard 17 lb propane tank?
Also, do you use a keggle?
If so, did you have to make any mods to the burner?

I use a standard propane tank, for the banjo most people add some support for the keggle (which yes I use). I never changed anything and mine works great

I've had both hurricane and banjo burners. I recently built a brewstand with large bg14 banjo burner. I love how quiet it is. Even if you don't build one, you can buy one with the bg14 already in there. The nice thing is, you will never outgrow it. It can heat up water very fast.

I also noticed that with the hurricane burner, it shot flame up the sides of my pot. Not a huge deal, but I prefer the distribution of the banjo... Hope that helps.

I've had both hurricane and banjo burners. I recently built a brewstand with large bg14 banjo burner. I love how quiet it is. Even if you don't build one, you can buy one with the bg14 already in there. The nice thing is, you will never outgrow it. It can heat up water very fast.

I also noticed that with the hurricane burner, it shot flame up the sides of my pot. Not a huge deal, but I prefer the distribution of the banjo... Hope that helps.

Yeah, I was thinking about buying the one that already comes with a stand. I currently use a grate from my smoker box bbq pit to support the keggle on the burner. I was thinking I could just use that on the next one. Anyways, how many 5 gallon batches do you guys get out of one regular propane tank with the banjo? if you heat sparge, strike, and boil water with it?

Nthing Banjo. I love mine -- it gets multi-gallon boils going FAST when you let 'er rip, but it has a fine enough control to keep a consistent rolling boil for an hour.

Back