Fermentation and Yeast Pitch Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
I have been thinking about improving my Fermentation temps with a compact fridge of some sort as per my question from another thread.

Here are my current questions..

Controlling fermentation is really important from what I understand. Would the most critical be during the primary? First week or 10 days of fermentation. I secondary. So as long as the temps were not way on the extreme side. The secondary would have less of an effect on the fermentation as the primary?

I am making yeast starters.. What temp besides 70deg should I be pitching..

Should the wort be low in the 62 range and the yeast colder.. Or should the yeast be room and the wort colder and allowed to aclimate?

Thanks

Controlling fermentation is really important from what I understand. Would the most critical be during the primary? First week or 10 days of fermentation. I secondary. So as long as the temps were not way on the extreme side. The secondary would have less of an effect on the fermentation as the primary?

Primary would be more important, IMO, in the secondary you are mainly clarifing and aging the beer.

I am making yeast starters.. What temp besides 70deg should I be pitching..
Should the wort be low in the 62 range and the yeast colder.. Or should the yeast be room and the wort colder and allowed to aclimate?

Again in my opinion, The most important thing when pitching yeast is that the wort is not above 70deg, and that the wort and yeast are at relativly the same temp, weather it be 65 deg or 40deg, you just want to avoid temperature shocking the yeast.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back