Bleach + Keg = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my second corny keg in the mail recently and was about to siphon my first hefe into it from the primary; however, I realize that I need to sanatize the keg first.

I've removed the o-rings and have the replacements ready.

Can I use bleach to sanatize the keg? If so what type and how much?

Many thanks!

*rolls eyes*

Nothing wrong with short term contact between bleach (at the veyr low levels used for sanitation) and stainless. Just don't STORE it there.

Use the same concentration you'd use for any other santitation with bleach.

*cue huge bruhaha surrounding the stupid 'real brewers don't use bleach' arguement.*

It is best to just get away from using bleach for sanitizing. Sanitizers are not that expensive and you can learn to stretch out their usage.

I mix 5 gallons of star san in my fermenter when I brew. I use that star san to sanitize everything on brewday and then I dump it into a clean keg. When the beer is finished I use that same star san to sanitize the rest of the kegs I need and my transfer hoses. It only takes 1oz per 5 gallons so I only use an ounce per beer.

Here's some facts from Oklahoma State about how to use chlorine as a sanitizer.

http://osuextra.okstate.edu/pdfs/FAPC-116web.pdf

IMHO Star-San is better but chlorine will do in a pinch. However regular household bleach may contain stuff you don't want in your beer. Straight chlorine like the kind used to treat a pool or spa is better because of the other stuff in household bleach.

Back