small batch of beer brewed like a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
Could you brew a small batch (1 gal) batch of beer, but ferment it on a stir plate to speed up the process...much like a starter. If a starter ferments out in a day or so, couldn't you brew up a simple batch that does the same? Maybe let it ferment out for 2 or 3 days, then cold crash for a day or so then bottle in a couple of 2 liters or keg?

I know it wouldn't be the greatest beer, but for a simple session ale would it be decent? Or if you wanted to experiment with different hops, you could make a bunch of these in succession with different hops to taste the difference?
maybe something like this:
1 lb Light DME
2 oz Crystal 40
.25 oz hops at 60
.25 oz hops at 10

simple pale ale.

I would turn off the stirplate after a few hours though for fear of oxydyzing the beer. Most of us don't taste the starter beer, but even if it tasted fine on pitch day, that is no guarantee the beer wouldn't taste like wet cardboard after a couple weeks. But there's nothing wrong with the rest of the plan, in fact someone is selling 1 gallon beer kits.

Could be a good way to try out different hops and see what you like. Do 3 batches, each with a different hop.

If a starter ferments out in a day or so, couldn't you brew up a simple batch that does the same? Maybe let it ferment out for 2 or 3 days, then cold crash for a day or so then bottle in a couple of 2 liters or keg?

IMHO it'll ferment fast without continual aeration as long as initially you aerate it really well. I've wanted to do this too, small experimental batches that are ready to drink quickly, just haven't gotten around to it.

If you want to make a session beer quickly, just make something between 1.035 and 1.045. Use an English ale yeast, pitch proper amounts... you can EASILY have it in the keg in 7 days, especially if you don't care about clarity.

I like it.

But I agree that you should only run the stir plate until ferm starts or just a few hours in.

Back