acid blend added to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
hey all

I have an apple/grape wine I made from Welches concentrate, and like all wines made from concentrate the flavor is way too much like the juice. I could make a fortune selling it to pedophiles as the new date rape drug, but seeing as how I am not into the kiddies, I'd like this wine to grow up a bit. I've heard of using acid blend to taste before, but was wondering if you guys have used it this way. I'd like to get a more wine-like bite to this stuff, because right now you can't taste the alc and it is entirely too smooth for my tastes. Anyone have some ideas of amount of acid blend per bottle? Thanks

mike

I wonder if a little tannin might help, too. I think what I'd do is pull a small sample and first add a bit of acid blend and see if it improves. Then see if a hint of tannin improves the bite. Even a bit of sweetening might improve it, although I don't usually like sweet wines.

You didn't say how much wine you made, but I usually add about a teaspoon of acid blend per gallon initially and about 1/8 tsp (or even less) tannin.

Back