My First Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hoooooo baby. Drinking a "doppelbock slurpee" from the ice scooped out of my Eisbock post-freeze. This stuff has some kick!

I'll keg it and lager as long as possible before competition this winter.

I'm looking to try one of these if it ever gets cold in VT this winter.

I made one a few years ago. Started the base lager too late in the year though - should've started it in August and lagered for a few months, than started the icing process. I froze it outside (I live in Wisconsin) and removed about 1.5 gallons of ice/slurry. Worked great, except that it was somewhat chilly when removing the ice. Tasted great and made about 28 12 oz bottles. I think it was floating about 11% when all was said and done.

I'm looking to try one of these if it ever gets cold in VT this winter.

Not too hard to do a small batch in fridge...

PA170007.JPG

The ice should be lower in ABV than the original unfrozen beer. What was the ABV of the doppelbock?

The ABV of the doppelbock was 7.73%. Fairly impressed with the Eisbock; can't wait to see what a couple months more lagering and then carbonation do to this beer.

Latest posts

Back