long IPA fermentation - more yeast at bottling time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobita

Reaction score
So, my 2nd batch is finally in the secondary dry hopping after taking a full 21 days for primary fermentation to finish. The OG was 1.066 and it took off fast but really slowed down later, taking an entire 3 weeks to stabilize at 1.014. Ferm temp was 68 degrees.

This particular yeast was from a brewery near my house - they filled me up a quart mason jar right out of their fermenter of the same beer I was basing my recipe on. Based on their instruction I pitched about a cup, and thought I was probably pitching a lot compared to store-bought yeast, but now (since it took so long to finish) I think I may have underpitched.

I am planning to bottle in about a week, but I am guessing that these yeasties may be pretty tired. Would it make any sense to add more yeast to the bottling bucket? Would I risk having bottle bombs?

TIA

absolutely no need for more yeast, 1.066 and 4 weeks is not enough to kill off the yeast.

also, what makes you think it took 21 days to finish fermenting? was this based on SG readings or airlock activity?

Thanks guys. The 21 days to finish was based on SG readings - the reading was higher on the 19th day but on the 20th and 21st days it read the same at 1.014. I guess I'll just bottle 'em up!

Latest posts

Back