Why is radio comming out of my speakers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Recently, a local radio station is comming out of my computer speakers when the speakers are unplugged from the laptop, but still powered. Only when the volume is all the way down.

The input plug is not plugged into anything.

There is no other radio on in the house. This is weird. Any electronics geeks out there have a clue.

Thanks

Beermaker said:
Because the main signal strength of their antenna is pointed in your direction. You can prolly see it on your TV and hear it there too.

The TV I can understand, it is a receiver of sorts, but this is a set of speakers, not hooked up to anything.

Obviously the cord is acting as an antenna, but how does a speaker decode a radio signal.

Sean said:
Obviously the cord is acting as an antenna, but how does a speaker decode a radio signal.

Radio signals are analog. No decoding necessary.

Damned digital-age kids ain't got no common sense no more.... :p

In truth, there HAVE been cases where peoples' metal fillings/caps/crowns have acted as a receiver and, being in proximity to the tranmitter, and so close to the receptor bones of the human ear (sorry, I'm obviously more of a physics guy than a biology guy, eh?), it is actually possible for some people to actually pick up a radio station in their head. Yes, it's sometimes just an old crazy guy, but occasionally the complaint may have a basis in scientific fact!

Beermaker said:
Because the main signal strength of their antenna is pointed in your direction. You can prolly see it on your TV and hear it there too.

Pretty much. It's prolly an AM station to boot. AM bleeds more than FM. Some stations I used to work for had the tower in the back yard of the studios. After 50 years, RF was everywhere. In the phones, in the mixing boards, you name it. There was more copper running thru that building in an effort to ground it than you could shake a stick at. People that lived behind the station were always calling about our AM station being in their phone. I thought they would enjoy the free message on hold service. ;)

Unplug the speaks. That's where they're getting the power to amplify your new receiver. ;)

Ize

Actually it is FM, but you mentioning Am reminds me of when I was a youth in Sarasota Florida. A buddy had an old car with an AM radio in it. Philco I think was the brand.

Late at night we could sit in the car and listen to an AM station in Chicago. WLS. The station sucked, but it was so cool listening to a station over a thousand miles away.

Not as bad as the TV in the BOQ lounge lighting up whenever a fire control radar was aimed at the building.

Latest posts

Back