Advice on Writing KSA's for Govt job applications?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I've been putting off applying to the government jobs in the area for about 6 months. Mainly because of the essay questions, some of which ask for specific experience in areas I don't have. And others which are so incredibly broad I have no idea how to answer. Any general advice for writing these KSA's? For ones asking for specific experience, should I just write about experiences/projects which are related? Or try to say why I could pick them up and learn quickly?

Should I really be paying for someone to read over these and fix these up? Seems impossible to find any free samples online. Most are agencies looking to make money off your misfortune.

Any other general advice in regards to structure of the essays, resources, etc. would be helpful.

I've filled out what feels like millions of applications some of which have "general" questions regaurding the job. I've also been on the other end where I was hiring and had to look over these answers.

I'd tell you to be absolutely honest in your answers. If they are asking for specific experiance list it, either you've done it in school or on the job. even if it was voluntary work that relates to the question/position appling for and give an example of what you did. If you have no experiance let them know that you've never done it, but if your familiar with it give that information as well. I've had some applicants that's not had experiance and discribed how they are familiar with it and how it could be used in a tipical situation.

I've hired persons that have had no experiance and learned it quickly and are/were great employees. I've also hired persons that said they knew ALL about it and couldn't deliver cause they were talking out their asses, they didn't seem to last as long.

Hope that helps. ?

I applied for an FDA job once and had to write a KSA for it. It was a huge PITA. I was probably slightly underqualified for the job and I had some inside information that it was a bit political in who was going to get it, so I didn't even get an interview. But it was worth a shot.

Anyway, one of the guys from the FDA gave me a few tips about writing the KSA. One was: don't be afraid to repeat yourself. If you have experience that relates to more than one question/qualification, treat each one as if you are writing it the first time. The only other thing I can remember is to write as much as possible... answer with anything that remotely relates.

PS: from your username... you don't work for Clarke, do you?

First off, mosquitocontrol is an ISIS album. A few people on here have asked if I work for a pesticide company or such. Nope!

On a more pertinent note, all of this is helping. I'm mainly looking for reassurance that my resume won't get instantly booted for not being able to answer some of the very specific questions. I don't want to waste two weeks writing essays and not even get a call. The whole process is just confusing. It will ask one thing, and then in the "example" paragraph it will say to prove experience of something completely different.

I also was wondering about whether repitition is good or bad on similar questions. Is it better to reiterate or to provide additional examples.

This is pretty much the last job I'm holding out for so I really need to get it done. Plus govt engineering seems to be pretty clutch in both salary and benefits.
Thanks!

Back