Cherry Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding 16oz of cherry concentrate (68 brix I believe) to 5 gallons of extract wheat beer right before bottling. Questions; am I going to blow up my bottles :D ?? OR should I add the cherry and let a second fermentation occur in the carboy still? If you don't think the cherry concentrate would affect it too much, should I go ahead bottle, and add my normal priming sugar (around 3/4 cups)? Thanks guys.

not to sure as i am still new to brewing but my gues would be to check the sugar content if its not to high you may be able to use it as your priming sugar but it may make your beer sweet. I would probably add it and do a second fermintation and then bottle as normal

Someone else JUST did this on the forums. search the forum for 'priming with juice' and you'll see the math that is needed to do this the right way.

or do it in secondary then bottle prime the usual way.

I recently used 10oz in 5 gallons because I found it was the equivalent of 4oz of dextrose. Time will tell if I had it right. I wouldn't use 16oz in normal beer bottles. Add 6 ounces into secondary and give it 3-4 days, then bottle with the remaining 10oz.

Back