Priming a Belgian in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalliewader

Reaction score
Going to keg an 8% Belgian Dubbel for the first time in a few weeks. Normally I use around 2.5 oz of corn sugar or 2 oz table sugar to prime in the keg (5G corny). Belgians should be a bit higher, so I was wondering what you guys that have kegged Belgians before have found to be a good amount of sugar for the higher carbonation level. Not set up to force carb, have to go the old school route. What has worked for you?

My experience with belgians is they're better out of a bottle.

I can't think of a better way to ask this, if you carb in a corney keg I would guess you have some sort of keg set up to dispense the beer so why can't you force carb? It's off topic but I couldn't figure it out.

My experience with belgians is they're better out of a bottle.

I agree, but see below.

I can't think of a better way to ask this, if you carb in a corney keg I would guess you have some sort of keg set up to dispense the beer so why can't you force carb? It's off topic but I couldn't figure it out.

I pretty much keg once a year, for an annual trip to the beach the keg is easier than transporting a few cases, washing the bottles and hauling them home again. Friends want me to brew a Dubbel this year, so I did. Since I only keg once a year, I use a portable Co2 system (cartridges) for dispensing only, not enough pressure to force carb.

Still looking for what has worked for others....

Use a priming calculator like this one:
http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

I just use a premeasured (~5oz?) bag of dextrose from homebrew shop kits and make up the difference with bottled CO2 on my Tripel. I serve it around 19psi at 38ºF, targeting a squidge over 3 volumes.

Back