French Saison (3711) - what a beautiful beast! (video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amity

Reaction score
I had a French Saison pack from Aug 2010 that I needed to use, and wanted to brew something my wife might like. I decided on a Belgian Blonde. OG 1.054, lightly hopped. I made a small 1L real wort starter (I don't chill my wort), and pitched the day following brewing. Within 12 hours it was obvious that the yeast was happy. This is about 30 hours after pitching:

(sorry, YouTube was giving me an error, and I can't seem to embed Vimeo links....)

[ame="http://vimeo.com/18434244"]French Saison (3711)[/ame]

Mike

Yep, its an animal, only problem is its to big of an animal, I had an OG same as yours (1.054) wanting an 5-6% saison and it wounds up at a FG of 1.002, practically a 7% beer. :drunk: O well still taste great.

Yes, I've experienced the low FG with 3711 before. Thats why I shot low on the OG... :)

Its like a kaleidoscope for alcoholics! I'm curious about this yeast, I saw it at the LHBS but have been weary of Belgians lately (I dont know what to do with 5 gallons of the stuff).

I am always amazed of how turbulent fermentation is. The fact that trub and yeast are swirling around like there is something in the fermenter agitating it is fascinating. I know fermentation is a physical process, but I wouldn't have thought that something microscopic could generate that much force.

I haven't used 3711, but I have used the Belgian strain (3724) and it is just as efficient. Not sure I'll use it again as it puts out a little more "funk" than I care for. I even fermented it on the cool side my second time using it.

I liked the video of your daughter by the way. I have a 3 month old and she is now starting to roll over front to back and grab things in a coordinated way...it is amazing to watch.

Eric

Back